Disputes with a California Auto Repair Shop

san diego small claims court judgment enforcement

Your vehicle is something you likely depend on a great deal to get you to work and everywhere else. When it needs to be repaired it can be difficult to get around while the work is being done. It can also be very expensive to pay for but this is a necessity you just can’t live without. Hopefully you can get your car in, get it fixed, and be back to normal in a short period of time.

This isn’t always the case for some California residents though. They may feel that they have been taken for a ride when it comes to their car repairs. Perhaps they were charged for work that was never done. Maybe they paid for the repairs and a few days later the car did the same thing again. All of these scenarios can leave a car owner unhappy and struggling to resolve the issue.

There are laws in California designed to protect consumers from being ripped off when it comes to car repairs. This is a breath of fresh air for consumers as many of them are wary about taking their car in. They have heard too many stories of people not getting good results from it. In California there is the Bureau of Automotive Repair known as BAR. If you aren’t satisfied with what took place you can file a complaint with them.

This should only be done though after you have made every attempt to work the issue out with the car repair shop. Ask to speak to a supervisor or the owner if you don’t like the answers you have gotten so far. It is important to keep your cool during the discussion though. Don’t let your emotions get the best of you as that will only put up more barriers to the problem.

Do your best to explain what you think needs to be done to resolve the situation. Many car repair shops will try to meet you half way. You may not get everything you want but be open to their ideas on the subject as well. If you aren’t happy with their best offer then let them know you will be filing a complaint against them with the BAR.

You can find all the forms you need to fill out to file the complaint at http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/smallclaims/research.htm#repair. It is important to keep copies of all the forms before you mail them in. Once they have been received you will get information in the mail with your case number and a contact person. You will also get updates on your case by mail as they occur.

If this process doesn’t work for you, the next reasonable step may be to file a case with a California small claims court. You need to make sure you have documentation of everything as well. Make sure you provide information about your discussion with the car repair shop and with the BAR about the problems. You may be eligible for punitive damages that cover your time as well as the inconvenience of not having your vehicle. An attorney is your best source of advice on how to proceed in your particular case.

If you’ve already sued in small claims court and won, we may be able to purchase your court-ordered piece of paper for cash. Submit the details here for a prompt review of your San Diego small claims court judgment.